Friday, September 28, 2018

Rapid Random Encounters

I recently made it my goal to create a system for rapidly generating random encounters in Dungeon & Dragons. I want to run a one-shot / demo game for some family, and I'd like to include some random encounters. Rather than write up a bunch of encounters before hand, and then roll on a table for them, I created a deck of cards that can decide the roles or archetypes of the monsters in a random encounter. The cards themselves contain a brief description of the monster's tactics, equipment, and/or abilities, as well as some keywords to help give context to an encounter.

Here are the cards: Monster Role Cards

The last card in the set is an Instructions card, which details how to use them. I recommend printing two (or more) copies of the first page to allow more flexibility in customizing the encounter deck.

In short, a card is drawn for each player, and then the Special cards are assigned to modify or add monsters based on the actual Role cards drawn. Once everything is resolved, I populate the monsters for the encounter based on the results.

I really like this system, because I can rapidly modify the deck based on my needs. If the players are stomping through the woods near town, I know that the players are likely to run into Goblins, which I think are best described by Skirmishers, Lurkers, Minions, Artillery, and Controllers. I don't think the Goblins have any Soldiers, and they would have to go really deep into the woods to encounter a Solo. These Goblins do have a few Bugbears, so I'll include Brutes, too. I would populate the deck with every card except the Soldier and Solo cards. Before the session starts, I'll also do a quick write-up based on the "monster" populations the PCs might encounter. In this case, Goblins. It would look something like this:

GOBLINS
These goblins have a couple Bugbears in their ranks, and are otherwise very feral.
[Immediate Reaction] All goblins shift 1 square when they are missed. Poor Will saves. Good Reflex saves.

  • Skirmishers/Minions: Wield javelins, 1D6
  • Lurkers: Daggers, 1D4, Elite Lurker is a Bugbear (1D6)
  • Artillery: Shortbows, 1D6
  • Controllers: "Bog Swallowers," these Goblins like to venture into swamps to swallow poisonous critters. They can later regurgitate the critters to deal poison damage in an area (Fortitude save). Other creatures that end their turn in the area take ongoing poison damage, as they are inevitably bit by a critter.
  • Elite Brutes: Bugbears, Greataxe 1D12; regular brute is just a neutral bear or something
  • Minions: Wield spears, Level + 5 damage
As far as I'm concerned, most of the Goblins are distinguished by their specific tactics and weapon loadout. I also decided that the only Brutes are elite Bugbears. If I draw a Brute that isn't elite, I'll make it a neutral animal that the Goblins are hunting in that particular encounter, like a Bear, and the Players can try to save it. Elite or Leader Skirmishers and Controllers are going to be noteworthy goblins. In the event the Solo cards are included in the deck, I'll prepare a specific Solo beforehand, and ignore the instructions to apply the Solo role to an existing role. Maybe it will be the BBEG, or a hungry young dragon.

The last piece of information I need is my Level Cheat Sheet, which will provide attributes for any monster of a particular level. Combining the Role Deck, Cheat Sheet, and Monster Population notes, I'm prepared for anything.

This is my cheat sheet: Monster Templates / Cheat Sheet

You may have noticed that this system is designed for 4th Edition D&D. I love 4e. I think the Role cards can be used for any system, but you'll need to find or create your own Cheat Sheet to use with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rapid Random Encounters

I recently made it my goal to create a system for rapidly generating random encounters in Dungeon & Dragons. I want to run a one-shot / ...